IN 1876, the City of Saint Louis divested itself of the largely rural and remote Saint Louis County. Seeing the need for a new county seat, two local property owners, Ralph Clayton and Martin Hanley, donated land for the new courthouse.
Hanley's house is still standing and is now a museum. Here are two photos of the interior of the house:
Much of the furniture in the house is from the Hanley family.