Sunday, October 08, 2006

Photos of Christian Brothers College High School, in Saint Louis County, Missouri

Here are some photos of the new Christian Brothers College High School, in Saint Louis County, Missouri, located about about 17 highway miles west of downtown Saint Louis, Missouri.



After being located for decades in Clayton, Missouri, the school eventually had to relocate farther west, following its students. The new school has a superficial resemblance to the old, but is much larger. It occupies 25 acres of land near the interchange of Interstates 64 and 270, and unlike the old location, is no longer in a mixed-use residential neighborhood.




Statue of Saint Jean-Baptiste de la Salle (1651-1719), founder of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, otherwise known as the La Salle Christian Brothers. He reformed the school system in France, and started the first teachers' college. His schools were the first with a distinctly modern pedagogy.

The Christian Brothers is a lay apostolate, whose 6000 members take the three vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. No priests or other ordained are members of the Institute. With about 70,000 lay teachers, they teach about 900,000 students in 80 countries.

The local Midwest District of the order, with headquarters in Illinois, owns three universities, sixteen high schools, and several middle schools.




"beati mortui qui in Domino moriuntur"- Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord, Apocalypse 14:13. A memorial to CBC cadets who fell during the Second World War, undoubtably taken from the old Clayton campus.




Back of the school, with the Chapel of Our Lady of the Star in the center. The interior is of modern design.




Heraldic shield on the wall.


Address:
1850 De LaSalle Drive
Saint Louis, Missouri 63141

No comments:

Post a Comment