HERE ARE PHOTOS of Saint Rose of Lima Church, in De Soto, Missouri. The church is located about 47 highway miles south-southwest of downtown Saint Louis, in Jefferson County.
The parish dates from 1866.
The town is named after Spanish explorer and conquistador Hernando de Soto (ca. 1496/1497 - 1542), the first European to discover the Mississippi River, and who may or may not have explored this area.
The area which is now Jefferson County was sparsely settled in colonial times; and the first settler here was Isaac Van Metre, who built a cabin in 1803. De Soto's fortunes grew with the construction of a depot of the Iron Mountain Railroad in 1859, and the town now has a major rail car repair facility. De Soto incorporated as a city in 1869. Click here for a history of the town.
The town is built along Joachim Creek, named after the father of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
De Soto had the nickname "Fountain City" due to its artesian springs. One such artesian spring has the unfortunate location of being underneath the foundation of the church.
These photographs were taken on January 13th, 2008. Many thanks to Father who told us some details about the church.
The altar was decorated for the season of Christmas.
This church has suffered from various natural hazards, including tornado damage.
Stained glass window depicts the Eucharist, a baptismal font, and the Keys of Peter.
Stained glass window of Saint Rose and Saint Thérèse of Lisieux; the door below leads through an enclosed walkway to the confessional, constructed as separate building from the church.
Statue of Saint Rose of Lima (1586-1617), the first saint born in the Americas. "If only mortals would learn how great it is to possess divine grace, how beautiful, how noble, how precious. How many riches it hides within itself, how many joys and delights!"
Outside of the church is a Marian shrine.
UPDATE: newer photos can be found on View from the Back Pew.
504 South Third Street
De Soto, Missouri 63020