The church is a part of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois.
According to a plaque placed next to the church:
For many years the Catholics in this vicinity had no church to worship in. Missionary priests came irregularly. Masses were held in various buildings, homes, and the Methodist Church. During the Depressed times of Ireland's famine these Irish families emigrated to Grafton to seek employment in the five stone quarries. The quarries employed 2,000 men 1,000 of whom were Irish immigrants. Due to the increasing Catholic families in Grafton the Germans and Irish decided on erecting a church built of native stone. There was a dispute on where the church should be built. A compromise was made; the church was erected here because the majority of Germans resided in upper Grafton, and the church was named as such in honor of the many Irish families. The first Mass was celebrated on Dec. 8, 1871 which was the feast of the Immaculate Conception. After restoration of the interior, damaged by the 1993 flood, it was rededicated by Bishop Daniel Ryan on March 19, 1995.
This small church is nicely decorated. During the flood, the water level was approximately at the Stations of the Cross.
Above the altar is a window showing the exploration of this area by Louis Jolliet and Father Jacques Marquette, S.J. in 1673. The missionary work of Father Marquette has captured the imagination of Catholic in this region, and many churches in Illinois commemorates him: oddly, artistic depictions of Marquette are rare in Missouri.
Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is in a small chapel to the right of the sanctuary.
The Holy Family.
A stained glass window, showing the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
XIVth Station of the Cross, Jesus is laden in the Sepulchre.
In the choir loft above the organ console, a stained glass window of Saint Cecilia.
Sacred Chrism, located in the ambry near the door into the church.
Patriotic window above the front door shows the American flag and Cross.
Sign with Mass times.
11 North Evans Street
Grafton, Illinois 62037