A sign on a door into the building. KEEP OUT.
A cross, formerly above the main door, has been removed, while the lettering underneath has been retained: RELIGIO - MORES - CULTURA.
The first CBC High was at 8th and Cerre Streets in downtown Saint Louis (now a parking lot and tavern); due to industrialization of the area, the school moved in 1882 to the corner of Kingshighway and Easton (now Martin Luther King Drive) on the site of the old Côte Brilliante Indian mound; this opulent and famous school burned to the ground in 1916 and the school moved to former farmland in Clayton, the county seat of Saint Louis County. As students continued to move further westward, the school relocated once again to its present site at the northwest corner of Interstates 270 and 64. Click here for photos of the new school.
This building's architect was Henry P. Hess (1884-1957), who worked for three years under William B. Ittner; Hess also designed the Rosati-Kain High School, the Kenrick-Glennon Seminary, All Saints in University City, Immaculate Conception in Maplewood, Saint Mary of the Barrens Seminary, in Perryville, Missouri, as well as other churches. Hess' firm is now known as LePique & Orne Architects.
Hess was Cardinal Glennon's favorite architect, and in the course of his long career designed about 700 schools.
SIGNUM FIDEI and the symbol of the Christian Brothers.
The Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools was founded by Saint Jean-Baptiste de La Salle in 1681, who was responsible for instituting modern classroom pedagogy.Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps.