HERE ARE PHOTOS of Saint Augustine Church, in Breese, Illinois. The church is located in Clinton County, about 40 highway miles east of downtown Saint Louis in the Diocese of Belleville. Breese is home to another parish, Saint Dominic.
These photos taken on the eve of the first Sunday in Advent.
The parish dates from 1912, and this church from 1926.
Breese is located on the great Illinois prairie, and was first settled by Europeans in 1816. This area was on the Goshen Road, a historically significant and probably ancient path crossing the prairie. Large number of Germans came here starting in 1835, who devoted themselves to farming.
The town is named after lawyer and politician Sidney Breese, who lobbied for the construction of a railroad linking the Great Lakes and Mississippi Rivers. The railroad came to Breese in 1855, bisecting the newly laid-out town into northside and southside sections. As the population grew after the introduction of rail transport, a new parish was needed on the south side of town, leading to the founding of Saint Augustine.
Another view of the nave.
In memory of Clara G. Meier
The school building. The parish is served by the consolidated All Saints Academy.
Click here for photos of other churches in Clinton County.
525 South Third Street
Breese, Illinois 62230