HERE ARE PHOTOS of Saint Mary's Church, in Trenton, Illinois. Located in western Clinton County, the church is about 32 highway miles due east of downtown Saint Louis, and is a part of the Diocese of Belleville.
Founded in 1858 and originally known as the Parish of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary, this present parish church dates from 1953 and has an unusual transitional form between the traditional and modern styles.
The long, rectangular nave with flat roof is distinctive of ancient classical basilicas; the side-aisles and transept are distinctively Christian elements, symbolizing the Trinity and Cross. This church is in the form of a Tau cross, with the sanctuary located largely within and not beyond the transept.
Above the altar is this triptych, showing Cleopos and the other disciple, who met Our Lord on the road to Emmaus on the day of His resurrection, although they did not know Him. Eventually, they recognized Jesus in the breaking of the bread (Luke 24:13-35).
The tabernacle where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved and venerated. Above the tabernacle is a tent-like canopy: the Latin word tabernaculum means ‘little hut’ or ‘tent’. In the Old Testament, the tabernacle was the tent where the Israelites kept the Ark of the Covenant.
On the front of the altar is a depiction of a the symbols of a fountain with birds. A fountain is a symbol of the source of grace, while birds are symbols of our souls, who owe their sustenance on the living waters.
The tabernacle itself has the symbol of the loaves and fishes from Matthew 14:13-21, a prefigurement of the Blessed Sacrament.
11th Station of the Cross: Consider Jesus, thrown down upon the cross, He stretched out His arms and offered to His eternal Father the sacrifice of His life for our salvation. They nailed His hands and feet, and then, raising the cross, left Him to die in anguish.
Carved bas-relief icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help.
Stained glass window shows a fleur-de-lis, symbol of Mary, the Trinity, the Kingdom of France, and others.
Ave Maria Regina Coelis. Hail Mary Queen of Heaven.
Confessional is in the former baptistery. Gate depicts a shell with three streams of water flowing from it.
In the narthex is this large carved crucifixion scene, with the Virgin and Saint John flanking Christ Crucified.
These photos were taken on the eve of the First Sunday of Advent.
Above the door to the nave is this mosaic of Mary presenting Jesus at the Temple.
Click here for photos of other churches in Clinton County.
218 West Kentucky Street
Trenton, Illinois 62293