SAINT LIBORIUS CHURCH, a former German parish, was completed in 1889, and closed in 1991. This was at one time one of the largest and most beautiful churches in the Archdiocese, but its neighborhood is now extremely poor, with many empty lots and abandoned buildings. The outbuildings of the church are now used by a Catholic Worker community, which provides short-term housing for homeless women and children.
Its spire was originally much taller, with a stone lace-work top, inspired by the Freiburg Cathedral in Germany. The church is a registered landmark, but it is an empty shell, and some of its artwork is now in other churches.
But this neighborhood is having some revitalization, due to the current real estate boom. It is a hopeful sign that this church remains standing. We can still hope for a resurgence of the Faith here, and a restoration of this great church.