This is the fourth church located on this site, the first being a log cabin dating from 1818. The chaplain of that log church was the Venerable Felix de Andreis of the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentian priests).
According to the chapel's history:
The present Sts. Mary and Joseph's church building is considered one of the most beautiful and thoroughly constructed churches in the city of St. Louis. It is the British village chapel type with a touch of Norman leaning toward Gothic architecture. The columns and arches are of bedford Indiana limestone and this item alone makes it one of the few churches of the Archdiocese of St. Louis with stone columns and stone arches. The entire ceiling of the inner church is of exposed timber. The entrance has been built of Wisconsin Lannon stone trimmed with Bedford limestone.
Archbishop John J. Glennon laid the cornerstone on September 22, 1940.
These photos were taken after the 4:00 p.m. Saturday Vigil Mass. The chapel was packed, and Father chanted and sang the Canon of the Mass!
The tabernacle is on the left side-altar, while Saint Joseph's altar is on the right. Note the intact communion rail.
"He hath given his angels charge over thee", from Psalm 90.
The view from the chapel, which is sited high above the Mississippi River; the riverfront here is mainly industrial.
The Chapel is next door to the Motherhouse of the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondelet.
Tuesday, 8:00 a.m.
Saturday (Vigil) 4:00 p.m.
6304 Minnesota Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63111